From: <onap-tsc-boun...@lists.onap.org> on behalf of Gildas Lanilis
<gildas.lani...@huawei.com>
Date: Friday, August 4, 2017 at 6:43 AM
To: onap-tsc <onap-tsc@lists.onap.org>
Subject: Re: [onap-tsc] Enforcing an "Upstream first" approach to ONAP

Hi,

Thanks David for sharing your analysis +1. Big chunk of code should not happen
(whatever big mean). That is why when TSC reviewed and approved the
“Development Best
Practices<https://wiki.onap.org/download/attachments/3245207/ONAP-DevelopmentBestPractices.pdf?api=v2>”
 earlier in July, I had the motto “If there is 1 word to remember "Commit,
commit, commit" multiple times a day”. During that meeting someone brought the
issue of submitting code that is not completely done, and the practice of
submitting “Gerrit Draft
Features<https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Configuring+Gerrit#ConfiguringGerrit-Submittingadraftfeature>”
 was introduced. This “Gerrit Draft Features” practice provides a way for the
community to see “code in progress”, to provide early feedback and not commit
yet in Master (until the feature is really complete).
The unfortunate David’s description of “we’ll build it internally and then
upstream the code” demonstrates a lack transparency, working in a silo mode,
that a trustfulness open source community must avoid.

I agree with Oliver and Lushen that the singularity we are currently
experiencing is about bringing in seed code, onetime event. In case of multiple
occurrences of such behavior in a single repo, as a community we should  simply
-2 the code while doing code reviews.

Thanks to Steve, who pointed out the CI guidance we have in place in wiki. At
the end of the day, in Open Source what matter is working code. And CI
disciplines<https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Continuous+Integration> helps.

Not sure we should spend energy in tooling to control or limit such behavior. I
think we have bigger fish to catch now. I would be in favor of educating people
and making them realize everything they do is PUBLIC (thinking about their
online resume). That should help the community to self-regulate. Also, read the
lines story I bring each time we meet on the coder who commit code at 5:30 pm
on a Friday<https://wiki.onap.org/display/DW/Continuous+Integration> (fourth
bullet))

Some good reading in CI by Jez Humble and David
Fairley<https://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Delivery-Deployment-Automation-Addison-Wesley/dp/0321601912>
 (but that requires much more time)

Thanks,
Gildas