Op 25-6-2011 9:49, Reizinger Zoltán schreef:
2011.06.24. 23:44 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
Does anyone see a difference other than the obvious difference of
technology, between the OOo user list and the forums?  Are they being
used for different kinds of things?  Or are they just different ways
of doing the same things?

The user downloaded OOo from OOo site can be aware of OOo mailing lists if met some problems - users with some knowledge. If user get OOo without his knowledge, some admin installed on computer, this happens in small companies or public administration, This user - average Joe, has knowledge in other software, when met specific problems, in most cases use some search engine to find answer, then the forum could came first. The second type of user prefer forums, and the first type possibly mailing lists.

My practice on user forums and Base user and developer mailing list have differences, in the forums core developers never posts, questions answered by volunteers or other users. (It takes time to crawl through all posts, the developers time worth more than spend reading questions, easily answerable ones.) In users mailing lists, half answers came from core developers, if they think, the problem is real. "Easily answerable questions" answered by volunteers. In developer mailing list users mostly ISVs or power users use, when met specific problems, in specific database drivers, or with programming OOo, and answered usually by developers.

Zoltan

I agree with Zoltan. This is my experience too

I think a forum is better for the end-users.
Particpants (like me who are merely contributing solely translations) might find use for a mailinglist to discuss about how to spell / wording / upcoming work to translate (for instance the online Help) in the native language

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)