On Jul 14, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 07/14/2011 12:59 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> I'm top posting - sorry about that. Let's summarized some facts.
>>
>> - The Apache Way requires a certain process. Commit then Review  OR
>> Review the Commit. This is essential project governance.
>>
>> - The approach I outlined is admittedly like what a code developer
>> would do. It is command line and text oriented.
>>
>> - The openoffice.org project at Sun/Oracle has more sub-projects than
>> the Apache Software Foundation has projects.
>
> yeah...well... :/
>

>> -There was a model for this in Apache - the Apache Jakarta project -
>> and the trend here which looks almost done is to make subprojects
>> into TLP (Apache POI was one) or retire them. Governance became
>> difficult in Jakarta.
>
> sorry...what's "TLP"

Top Level Project.

>> - To do as you suggest and give certain developers limited access to
>> parts of the website is a good one, but the governance of that would
>> need to match the Apache Way.
>>
>> I think that there are four to-dos.
>>
>> (1) Get the existing svn website repository into the project's svn. I
>> think we should just export it all and then add to the project. The
>> move from cvs to svn in kenai has apparently lost all prior history.
>> Do we care? If exports are fine then we can proceed.
>>
>> (2) Figure out how the current is converted and processed into pages
>> in the project site. The method I described should be sufficient.
>
> I'll look at your post again. I know a little bit about current processing,
> but really, since the move to kenai, not much.

I think I was little short in my description and wish I had time today to
explain it better.

The basic idea is to build the appropriate skeleton to drop each page of
content into.

In others the master layout.

>> (3) Determine how to put a front-end on this. If the Apache CMS
>> bookmarklet is close enough to the current workflow perhaps we can
>> figure out how make it work for non-commmitters. To make it submit
>> patches to JIRA/bugzilla.
>
> Well I spent this am looking at the CMS info that's out there, and without
> actual access right now, I really couldn't determine much about capabilities.
>

>> (4) Discuss what a sub-project model for Apache OpenOffice.org would
>> be like, but very slowly. We definitely would need to have a high bar
>> and we'll need to get used to working with each other. There will
>> certainly need to be a sufficient number of PPMC members that can
>> govern a sub-project.
>
> I understand
>
> For the foreign language projects this may
>> require three people on the PPMC fluent enough to know that the ASF
>> is not publishing improper content and willing to oversee that
>> content.
>
> hmmm...OK. Personally, I don't have any idea how difficult this would be.

Nor I, It was discussed and deferred in the first week or so of the project.

It will certainly be a topic. I don't think it will be a problem for certain
languages, but others...

>> Regards, Dave
>
> Thanks for the additional thoughts/information.

Thanks. I only had time because my travel plans are delayed today.

Regards,
Dave