From: IngridvdM [mailto:ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de]
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2011 14:09
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] <Initial Committer>: Apache OpenOffice.org Initial
Committer Status

Hi Dennis,

Am 23.07.2011 21:35, schrieb Dennis E. Hamilton:
> Ingrid,
>
> You can help me.
>
> I am having difficulty finding a concrete case for completely open-ended
> invitation of Initial Committers.

I don't know whether there are any, I haven't searched.

> Suppose you were on the Initial Committer list.  You had not sent an iCLA.
> You had not responded to a request to take that step as part of being
> established as an official committer for the Apache OpenOffice.org podling.
>
> If that was you, what would you be holding onto by wanting that invitation to
> be permanent without taking the steps that go with accepting it?

I simply see no reason to shut the door. People might be in the middle
of paper work, people might be ill, people might be on a journey around
the world. You also may have send the invitation to the wrong mail. None
of this would cause me to consider to withdraw someones committers
rights, so why should it cause me to consider to withdraw someones
committers invitation?
Would you suggest to withdraw committer status if a committer is off for
1 months, two months, a year?

> If that was you, what would have this be rude or an insult that you be
> expected to take the initiative and show up as an established committer.

The expectation to show up is of course not rude. Invitation and
expectation is nice! :-)

But threatening with an arbitrary deadline is somewhat strange, really.
And requesting for a time estimation about such complicated things as
legal paper work, well please.

> Why would you not be taking committed actions to create and grow the Apache
> OpenOffice.org project?

I think enough reasons have been given for people beeing late.

A misunderstanding was clearly between posing a deadline on paperwork or
only posing a deadline on people who are not responsive at all. So
making a difference here is a step of coming together! :-)

Now for the not responsive ones, I still won't close the door for them,
but I seem to be a minority here and will adhere to principles of
democracy. But please give them as much time as possible and make really
sure that you use correct email addresses in the reminder mails.
It would be a pity to have upset people because of this.

Thanks,
Ingrid