We are in a very fledgling situation here.  Let's see if we can clear up a few
things.

Here is my understanding of the situation as it exists at the moment.

 - Dennis

 1. The ooo-security@i.a.o list is private and moderated.  Anyone can send a
message to the list.  The three current moderators of the list share
responsibility for allowing a post onto the list or not.  Anyone can also
attempt to subscribe to the list.  Once the requester completes the e-mail
verification ceremony, the request is submitted for approval by the moderators.
 In this case, the way the moderators decline is by doing nothing.

 2. It is the PPMC that is entirely responsible for handling the mitigation of
security issues, including undisclosed exploits.  No one else.  That means it
is the PPMC that would authorize a patch.  If, for some reason, any
non-Apache-committer submitted a patch, it would presumably be treated the same
as any patch submission on ooo-dev, apart from the additional secrecy of the
activity until the mitigation is in place.
   However, there are many activities that go into the assessment of a security
issue and the analysis of potential mitigation approaches.  They might never
involve the actual creation of code or patches.

 3. It is the PPMC, as part of its responsibilities, with the advice (and
consent?) of security@a.o, that determines how the ooo-security@i.a.o list is
managed and who serves on it.

 4. Perhaps we should look at the ooo-security@i.a.o list subscribers as
strictly advisory to the PPMC.  The subscribers would have the specific charge
of handling the inputs that are accepted as bona fide security matters with
appropriate sensitivity.  We need to be careful to operate within the norms for
dealing with undisclosed vulnerabilities and prospective exploits and
maintaining the security of all preparations and ooo-security@i.a.o are the
shepherds for this, let's say.  We don't quite know how this will work out in
practice and how much the ooo-security@i.a.o subscribers will work things out
before engaging the PPMC as a whole.

In none of this do I see a requirement for a committer, or even PPMC membership
for someone who is subscribed to the list for purposes of supporting the
coordination with others who need to be responders (as in a multi-alarm fire),
and reciprocally, since anyone might be the "first responder."  Requiring an
iCLA I can understand, with regard to IP matters that might arise, although
that might be more symbolic than essential.  But if the practice is to require
PPMC members, then that is what we should do.  The current subscribers are all
PPMC members.

Although I favor a more ecumenical arrangement than we are putting in place, we
can of course make it work without that.  We can provide liaison already with
the small ooo-security@i.a.o subscriber list that we have now.  That will be
necessarily selective, and it is not clear what agreement needs to be reached
before any external entities are engaged.  We'll have to figure that out.

We can also create the arrangements that Rob Weir proposes for having an alert
mechanism and having a PPMC-maintained (private) list of contacts both for
alerts and for experts.