Am 09.08.2011 22:20, schrieb Mathias Bauer:
On 09.08.2011 20:49, Armin Le Grand wrote:

Forgot one point: We are not talking about stopping support for
something like PDF/A where readability is guaranteed for years/decades.
We are talking about wildly, unplanned grown old binary filter formats
in the old days of the office where the model was simply streamed out
and in, patched and repaired many times, never documented (for good reason).

And moreover, we are talking about a format that does not support a huge
number of OOo feature, UniCode support being only one of them.

Right, also forgot but didn't want to write a 3rd part just 5min later :-)

Not only UniCode, all features since Binfilter was isolated, get lost in an old write/read cycle with this old filters. Using them for write may just have two reasons: - You have an old machine with StarOffice5.2 or something which cannot read ODF
- You don't know about losing content when using the old formats

BTW: the reservation that legal requirements can force people to keep
documents in the old binary StarOffice format is a red herring. I have
serious doubts that any organization with such requirements has ever
used this format. Remember, it's *not* an OOo format, it's the format of
the pre-OOo StarOffice application that was replaced by the UniCode
supporting XML format before OOo got its first release.

For those with concerns that there might be some documents in the old
format that "suddenly" needs to be opened, perhaps a standalone
converter tool from "binfilter" to ODF could be provided. Wait a moment,
that tools already exists: all existing OOo version can be used that way.

Exactly. Let the next AOO release be the last one to offer this.
BTW: For the concerned ones how long it might be installable: I'm still using StarOffice5.2 sometimes for various things, still works well today :-)

Regards,
Mathias

Regards,
        Armin