From: Rob Weir [mailto:apa...@robweir.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2011 18:45
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Issues] [DISCUSS] Can we track Issues Somehow? (was RE: Speaking
of JIRA, Where's Ours?)

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> It's been two months since the podling started and we still don't have issue
> tracking.
>
> 1. We need something for recording and tracking issues now, including ones
> that are involved in the migrations we're struggling with.

Do we?  I mean, do we need something more than discussing them in
clearly-labeled threads on the mailing list?  Or tracking plans on the
wiki, as we are doing already?

> 2. We don't want to foreclose how we end up finally migrating the
> OpenOffice.org bug tracker and all of the history that represents.
>
> I don't know enough to see how to have (1) and (2) both.  Can we choose one
> quickly for transitional use, and then merge the OO.o bugs with it or merge
> it with the OO.o bugs, whichever works?
>
> It looks like three choices have been proposed:
>
>  1. Apache JIRA
>  2. Apache bug-tracker
>  3. Google Code issue tracker (available on Apache Extras)

I started tracking some items on the wiki, as a short term approach.
Since there appears to be a great deal of enthusiasm for using the
wiki, how about start that way?  If we're dealing with a dozen or 2
issues or fewer, then setting up a JIRA or BZ issue is overkill.
Remember, we're already tracking planning activities related to the
migration on the wiki.  It isn't clear that trying to tease action
items out of the plans on the wiki and then placing them in JIRA does
anything for us.

Also, we should avoid the seductive illusion that activity is a
substitute for progress.  Having volunteers move forward on the code
check-ins and on the real Bugzilla migration would be progress.
Churning on issue tracking would not.

> I'm all for ease-of-use.  How can we have a working issue tracker off of the
> critical path around migrating the OpenOffice.org bug tracker without getting
> in the way of that more complex effort?  Do we have to choose one for the
> migrated bug tracking now or can we resolve that later?

Easiest way to avoid the more complex effort is to use the simplest
tool that accomplishes the task.  The simplest tool right now is the
mailing list.  Wiki is 2nd.