Rob Weir wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

<snip>

At the end it seems the best solution is still to go 2 ways: ML and forum.

Best in what way?  If half of us want pizza for dinner, and the other
half want sushi, is the best solution to have sushi pizza?

I think doing support via two venues is suboptimal, both for the user
seeking support and for the person providing support.  Would we
consider splitting ooo-dev into a list and a forum?  I don't think so.

phpBB is open source, right?  I wonder if there is any way would could
make it more mail-enabled?  Right now it allows users to subscribe to
a forum or a thread and have new messages go to their email.  But it
doesn't allow responding via email.  But I see things like M2F that
claim to enable phpBB for mail in databases:

http://mail2forum.com/

In other words, we should be really clear whether we merely want
*multiple interfaces* to support (ML, forum, nntp, etc) or whether we
really want *multiple repositories* of support discussions.   The
former is good to have.  The latter, however, if bad, IMHO.

I say that we have to support our users, be it by ML, or forum. I prefer mailing list but also realize that others prefer forums. I do use both since I want to help users.

This road is getting old. We have already discussed this, back in June. I saw the same old discussion on the LibO list last year.