On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:54, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Take a  look at the Subversion home page and the link they have on the
>>> left.  We could do something like that if we wanted.  That is a good
>>> short-term approach.  It could even work longer term, though I think
>>> it is a growth-limiting choice.
>>

>> I think that is the most workable solution for the short term. We
>> discussed it here some time ago and I at least looked at the
>> Subversion home page and link and thought it was a good way to go.
>>
>> However, I am not sure where we should put the documents so they could
>> be linked from the AOOo website. ODFAuthors is a production site, not
>> really suitable in its present state for delivery of documents IMO. I
>> suppose we could redesign this page
>> http://www.odfauthors.org/openoffice.org and add whatever other pages
>> might be needed.
>>

> What is the concern with hosting the doc at ODFAuthors? Is the
> load/bandwidth a concern?  If so, one alternative would be to upload
> the doc to Apache-Extra.org.  Projects there are hosted by Google
> Code, and also agree to these guidelines:
>
> http://community.apache.org/apache-extras/guidelines.html
>
> This is a good option for things that are not part of the project, but
> somehow related to the project.
>
> -Rob

My main concern is that I don't think the design of the website is
really suitable for consumers of the docs. It's set up to be a
production site. Past experience suggests that trying to get it to
serve both purposes will mean it serves neither well.

Apache-Extra.org sounds good; I'll read the guidelines to see if I can
spot anything of concern to me (not that I expect to).

--Jean