Am 17.09.2011 14:44, schrieb Rob Weir:

> When the competition for a new algorithm ended, the winner was the
> Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).  We really need to support that
> algorithm.  There is a reason why ODF 1.3 recommends it.  There are
> regulations in several countries that specify what cryptographic
> methods may be used for government work.  In the US this is called
> FIPS == Federal Information Processing Standards.  There are similar
> rules, for example, in Japan.  FIPS 140-2 recommends AES. It does not
> recommend Blowfish.  So this has great relevance for government users,
> government contractors, as well as other sectors like healthcare.

As you said, OOo *1.3* will *recommend* it. Does that require postponing
an AOOo 3.4 release until there is a code replacement for nss? Or do you
already have something to use? IIRC it took roughly two weeks to
implement and test the new AES code for an engineer familiar with the
code. I assume that for a newbie that would be quite some time more.

IMHO getting 3.4 out fast is important. And of course having AES
encryption is important also - immediately after that.

YMMV.

Regards,
Mathias