--- On Fri, 9/30/11, Mathias Bauer <mathias_ba...@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm not against unpacking the tarballs and applying the
> patches, but we should keep the patches somewhere so that
> updates could be done with the same effort as today.

This could fly.

I like having the patches around. I would only request
that GNU patch is not a requirement to build the OO.

Just for reference, FreeBSD's base has contrib area
(part of the release)
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/contrib/
and a vendor area which is an intermediate step:
(not part of the release)
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/vendor/

> Another advantage of unpacking the tarballs: the patches
> will become *real* patches that just contain changes of
> the original source code.

I definitely like that, yes.

Another thing is: we have to teach GNU configure to skip
building stuff when an installed binary package of the
same thing is available.

Pedro.