I can't speak for Jim, but I can say that the spirit of "best wishes to the TDF and LibreOffice" is honest and sincere from my point of view.

I also believe it's sincere from the point of view of the Apache OpenOffice podling - there have been multiple offers to try to work together and explicit notes on our public lists that LibreOffice is always welcome to use our Apache Licensed code in any way that the license allows.

I also believe it's sincere on behalf of the ASF on the larger sense. The ASF is a non profit devoted to the public good. The way we serve the public is by providing high quality software freely, under our permissive license. The way we do that is the Apache Way - our collaborative, consensus-based, and diverse communities of individuals who volunteer their work to our projects. We have no real beef (argument) with anyone as long as they're honest in their statements about us, and as long as they comply with our license and branding policies.

We are perfectly happy to have other open source groups be successful - even ones with technology that might (in some eyes) be seen to be competing with our projects. Heck, there are several Apache projects that have apparently competing technologies as well - and we're happy to host each of them. All we ask (for Apache projects) is that we have a respectful and well run volunteer community behind it that is willing to follow the Apache Way.

We're also perfectly happy to have other people take our code and re-use it: that's the whole point of our license. We want people - the users of our software - to have the maximum freedom to use our software however they want, with the minimal restrictions as spelled out in our license. So in that way, we will be happy if and when LibreOffice can make use of some of the code we're now working on. Even if it may appear to some folks that it's a competing product.

Open source communities aren't a zero sum game. There are plenty of volunteers out there. It's up to the individuals to choose how and where they want to volunteer their time. Much like you have a number of passionate volunteers who actively work at TDF and on LibreOffice, we have a number of passionate volunteers who actively work at the ASF and on Apache OpenOffice.

So yes, we're certainly hoping to play together nicely!

- Shane