On 10/16/2011 6:01 PM, Graham Lauder wrote:
On 10/15/11, Dave Fisher<dave2w...@comcast.net>  wrote:

...snip...

- Brand Manager. Dedicated to the OOo brand.

A whole Marketing team task pretty much, a dedicated individual could
get swamped.

  I think that is a little confusion sometimes with the seemingly
hierarchical nature of legacy OOo projects.  Yes each project had a
“lead” and a “co-lead”, the terms however were somewhat misleading. A
more accurate description would be an administrator. It is true that
closer to the core code there was a more “managed” process simply
because of the corporate heirarchy active in Hamburg and even that had
flattened out over the life of the project.  The “Lead” simply had
access to the admin tools, he certainly did not dictate policy or
direction, that was generally the result of discussion and consensus.

Branding is simply part of the wider marketing strategy and branding
right now is what should be our primary marketing focus and a group
task.  Decisions have to be made.

So I'm with Ross on this, we have some excellent people to make up the
team, those people will each take the lead on whatever task they feel
that they can contribute best. Really that's not a lot different to
the way the old OOo marketing project used to function in any case and
what made it so successful.

That's good to hear, because I've been trying to figure out how to explain Apache styles of working together, especially to contrast them to the past OOo world. From what I can understand of it, the old organizational style - of many separate groups, each with leaders, co-leads, managers, whatever - is very much the opposite of Apache best practices.

I would urge people to think of the new "Marketing team" as something very new, and focus on where we all want to take AOOo. Personally, it really started to worry me when people call it the "Marketing team", but maybe that's just me.

Apache projects do need leaders. But leader isn't at title in an Apache project. Leadership is more about what you do and how you encourage others to follow, rather than directing others or simply doing it all yourself.

Justin Eerenkrantz has it exactly right in his "ASF: No Jerks Allowed" presentation, as do many other ASF'ers who give Apache Way talks:

    Whomever has the best idea “leads”
    ...until a better idea is presented to the group
    and then that person “leads”

Leadership in Apache projects is getting the community excited and willing to help work on your idea. And being willing to listen to other perspectives, and to work with the whole community to improve the project for the project's sake.

- Shane

P.S. And as always: PMCs need to manage their projects independently of outside influence. This PPMC is the body that's in charge of the future of the AOOo project - no one else. There are a few legal, branding, and organizational details that the board (thru the Apache Incubator in a podling's case) requires of Apache projects - but technical direction is solely handled by this PPMC.

P.P.S. +1 for an ooo-marketing@ list, I'll be on it.