On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:36 AM, Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Sigh.
>
> On 10/18/2011 7:45 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Christian Grobmeier
>> <grobme...@gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Not sure if it is because of my limited english skills, but are we
>>> really discussing to leave out the vote?
>>>
>>> The discussion around the forums was very hot. I don't think this is
>>> pure ceremony to have a vote. Finally we are adding people to the PMC
>>> with this vote too!
>>>

>> Think of it this way:  With Lazy Consensus, any single committer can
>> veto a proposal.  With a vote, all you need to approve is that 51% of
>> voters approve.  So Lazy Consensus is harder to reach.  It is the
>> stricter requirement.
>>
>> So if you already have consensus (lack of objections) then why have a
>> redundant vote?
>
> There's another side to this: if sufficient people want to have a vote - for
> whatever reasons, be it clearing their conscience or whatever - then I
> recommend that they JFDI.
>
> A key issue for communities is to let the whole community work together.
>  When part of the community wants to do something new, even if someone
> thinks it's a dumb idea, as long as the idea isn't harmful, then why are you
> standing in the way?
>
> With code, it's fairly simple; we can measure conformance tests or
> performance numbers.  With social issues it is indeed harder to judge. But
> if that many other people want to hold a vote, then I say let them.
>
>> I'm also concerned about this on policy grounds.  What precedent does
>> this set?  For example, if at some future time, if I have a proposal
>> to make, and I think it may have some opposition, may I request that
>> it be voted on (approved by 51%) rather than go through lazy consensus
>> (lack of veto)?  Doesn't think encroach on the rights of the committer
>> to veto a proposal?
>
> I think you are approaching this whole project from a perspective faaaaaar
> too rooted in detail oriented, formal policy, standards setting background.
>  Just because the PPMC holds a vote on this issue does not set a policy in
> stone that votes must always be held on every issue (or on any kind of
> issue).  It just
>
> The Apache Way is like Zen.  There are some rules and plenty of guidelines,
> but it's really about having a healthy community that listens to each other
> and works towards consensus.

Shane, it should be obvious to a stone that I am advocating the Zen
approach of just taking the lazy consensus and moving forward to it.
Your uncalled for personal attacks denigrating my standards experience
does not change this.  Remember, Dennis also has a background in
standards (he's on a committee that I chair) and he, not I,  is the
one pushing for unnecessary greater process around this.

Now is the time for the forum admins, moderators and volunteers to
decide if they want to go forward, based on the lazy consensus
received.  Or whether they want to tie this up in another week of
procedural wrangling.  And for what purpose?.  Personally I'd
recommend that they JFDI.

-Rob