Am 10/22/2011 01:37 AM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

On Oct 21, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

Am 10/21/2011 08:35 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:
(2) downloads.services.oo.o goes away this needs attention. This is the major
unknown.

We do have a version of this page in the website migration. It is rather clean.
I think the page handles a missing mirror brain, but I don't know if it handles
it well. The version that was cleaned up is in the AOOo project svn in
ooo/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/.

Yes, the complete download method rely on a working "download.services.oo.o"
domain as here our Mirrorbrain instance is running to do the loadbalancing for download
requests.

As it wasn't accepted to bring this into the podling as another software
service, we have to find another solution.

1) As short term solution we could switch to a system that we were allowed to
use as backup for any outages we had at Sun/Oracle times.

This system is running on "www.mirrorbrain.org" and is hosted and serviced by Peter
Poeml. As long as the "download.openoffice.org" host is still working there shouldn't be
bigger problems if we could use the backup system.

I'll ask him if it's OK to rely this time a bit longer as long as we have not a
long term solution (see other mail).

2) It seems to be time to connect to the ASF system to do software downloads.
However, AFAIK we have the problem that the ASF is very likely not willing to
host pre-ASF releases of OOo within their mirror network.

Nevertheless we need to prepare our download webpages for the ASF method when
we will have ready our first AOO release.

It may be that we can use the ASF method of picking mirrors to select from the
current list of OOo mirrors.

I've not yet tested which ASF mirrors already provide also OOo install sets. Or how to change the script, so that it accepts also other mirrors.

And the "http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi"; script has to be tweaked, so that it provides the suitable mirror *and* link to the OOo install set. Only a link to the closest mirror is not enough for end-users.

A lot to do. However, for me this seems to be the long term solution.

BTW:
Here's the list of all OOo mirrors:
http://download.services.openoffice.org/mirrors/all.html

Marcus