On Nov 1, 2011, at 10:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> There are problems concerning migration of yourname@ openoffice.org,
>> listname@
>> openoffice.org, and servicename@ openoffice.org.  Consequently, all yourname@
>> openoffice.org addresses will be shut down when the migration goes into its
>> final stages sometime in November.
>>
>> I don't have a solution.  I have an appraisal of the issue.  It is something
>> that requires mutual understanding and, out of our mutual attention, the
>> prospect of a workable solution.
>>

> Dealing with the servicen...@openoffice.org addresses is relatively
> easy to handle.  Since we generally control the underlying service we
> can simply change the service (or the wiki or website if these are
> human-generated enails) to send notifications to one of our existing
> lists.  We are doing that, for example with the BZ notifications.
>
> yourn...@openoffice.org -- I don't think providing free lifetime
> personal email forwarding services to non project members is part of
> the core mission for this project or ASF.  A Gmail account is free for
> the asking.  And if someone really wants a project-related vanity
> address, then apache.org is available to all committers.  But I do not
> accept any obligation for this project to fix a situation caused by
> bad choices and decisions by those in the past.

Maybe a shorter description of some facts.

(1) Oracle will not be giving the ASF this data. (I've heard this from a
reputable source.)
(2) There are many @openoffice.org addresses embedded in the following services:
        - Wiki.
        - Forums.
        - BZ.
        - Website. Here we can identify and change.
        - Code?
        - Other docs?
(3) We will have @OOo ML forwarders to our project's MLs @i.a.o. Correct? This
will be about 330 addresses.
(4) There are almost 500,000 of these ids. Getting one was part of the whole
openoffice.org single sign-on structure.

We have choices.

(A) Provide a mechanism to allow re-registration of the OOo forwarders on some
limited basis, but expanding basis. This would probably mean that the project
would have to manage the OOo MX.
(B) Drop all individual forwarders and have a lot of notifications of breakage
for these services. We also disconnect the community.
(C) Provide some mechanism to change emails in BZ, Wiki and Forums.

None of the above are easy.

Questions for the BZ, Forums and MWiki. Is there a way for people registered in
those systems with an @OOo email to change their address without losing their
content?

Regards,
Dave