Hi Pedro,

2011/11/5 Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org>

> Hi Andrea;
>
> I have been looking at the situation of the dictionaries,
> and particular the italian dictionary.
>
> You are right that it will not be covered by the SGA.
> Perhaps more worrying is that the italian dictionary is
> the only dictionary under the GPL; most others are triple
> licensed (LGPL/MPL/GPL).
>
> We are not allowed to use it, so it will be removed
> from the SVN server for sure. Beyond that ... well
> I am not a lawyer and I don't have any idea how the
> GPL could be enforced in this case, but things are
> not nice.

We've discussed a lot about this issue, but  there isn't any consensus yet
about *how *to solve the problem, in a pragmatic way that doesn't include a
license change.

I know for sure that GPL is not the preferred license for at least one
co-author who liked the even stricter Affero GPL because of several GPL
violations of the Italian dictionary license made by on line web services.
We even contacted a specialized copyright lawyer, though we then decided
not to file any claim against those people.

Nevertheless, the Italian dictionary is one of the oldest dictionary, maybe
the oldest one except, maybe, English and German, included into the OOo
binary distribution and that wasn't owned by Sun/Oracle. So whatever change
would be made that caused its exclusion from the distribution, it would be
a real regression for our user base.

We discussed about other ways (on line download via a wizard during
installation time) to let the user chose these linguistic tools and, IMO,
it would be time to define such changes in a surer way than a simple
discussion.

In fact here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/ipclearance.html

I see that even translations for the localizations *may *be not covered by
Oracle SGA.

An AOOo without a native language GUI and linguistic tools would be just
useless outside the anglosaxon world and, indeed, a rather disastrous
presentation of the new project for people who don't speak English.

So, we may try to discuss deeply and practically these topics.

Regards,

Gianluca
--
Lettura gratuita o acquisto di libri e racconti di fantascienza,
fantasy, horror, noir, narrativa fantastica e tradizionale: