Hi,

I prefer to have tests from several tiers, firstly having a UI test framework that is written and performed by testers who are not that experienced in writing tests in whatever programming language (BASIC is not a must have but it needs to be as easy as LOGO turle graphics) mostly to assure the quality of what has yet been tested and secondly having API based tests to stress test the applications' programming interface and thirdly having unit tests that are instanciated directly from within the C++ or JAVA source code to detect common coding bugs and at last to perform manual tests because UI based programs often show bugs when a real person uses the application (like we found several bugs in the past that would have never been found if we used the automation based tests only).

For me the VCLTesttool is dead. We shouldn't invest time there if we had
an alternative GUI testing option with available source code. So we
definitely should give the Java lib a try, if it could be made available
under a suitable license.

For me VCL testtool is soumething from the past but it is still needed until we have a replacement.

Until then we should concentrate on writing integration tests in C++ or
Java. We already have some of them (called "complex tests") and they
have proven to be the most effective tool for bug hunting that we have.

Kind regards, Joost