Hi Dennis,

On 21.11.2011 18:37, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
Andre,

I have my own interests in this kind of construction setup for Windows builds.
I offered my snippets in case they are also useful in streamlining the Windows
build case for Apache OpenOffice.

I only did a little proof of concept to confirm that the settings are conveyed
into a cygwin session properly.   There could always be a show-stopper later
on.  Something I didn't dig into was setting up the command-line parameters to
the tools such that tool-understandable paths (not cygwin ones?) are used.  I
assume that already has a solution and the make processor that is run under
cygwin has no problem.

  - Dennis

MORE ARM-CHAIR ANALYSIS

It seemed to me that the way cygwin is used to find the necessary dependencies
among the Microsoft development tools is fragile and, seemingly, too much black
art.  I based that on observation of some folks having difficulty with getting
builds to work in various cases (at LO and here).

It seems easier, and better for those who just want to do builds for QA,

I am not sure how a QA build differs from a developer build (other then in a debug flag maybe)

to establish the tool-dependency connections before starting the build under
cygwin at all.

configure should basically do that, making sure that everything needed for a build exists before starting the actual build. If you or anybody else finds a better way to detect the right MS tools than we should adapt the automake/configure tool chain accordingly. What we not should do is to have two different detection routines that may lead to different results. Otherwise the first check may tell the user that everything is OK and then configure complains about eg a missing compiler.

> This can be by setting up and confirming the tool-required environment variables and path settings first. It is relatively easy to do and the Microsoft tools already have scripts that help without any registry dependencies required. It should also be easier for an user to trouble-shoot.

It would be great if the Windows tools detection could be improved.

That way an user can choose which versions of the tools to use when many are
installed side-by-side on the same system and also know before starting a build
process that the tools are reachable.

Ah, are you talking about an interactive tool? Which lists all sane combinations of tools and when the user has made her choice, configure is run with the selected values and prepares the build?
I would like that.

-Andre

PS: I am sorry about broken formatting of quotes. My mail application (Thunderbird) can not handle your long lines very well :-)

  - Dennis