Well ...

We need something that works now and basically something
that will produce RPMs. Having something to do this is handy
but should not a requirement for building. I think with just
having it disabled by default we comply with the ASF policies.

All other packages that I know of just have an installation
script and leave the packaging for someone else to do: for
FreeBSD we use a script that calls tar (it's more portable
than cp), and then we have some support in the ports tree
to package that stuff automatically.

Hmm... since you are apparently planning to further edit
fetch_tarballs.sh, perhaps you can test my update to that
script? (attached).

cheers,

Pedro.