On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 09:45:01PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:32:10AM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
Normally the office would come via the distro and would have been build for
the distro and the specific versions of the system libraries. This is much
easier and i hope we can achieve this state in the future...
I doubt this is going to happen. linux distros have switched to LO, and
I guess Canonical, RedHat, Suse, ..., have interest in building a brand,
so you cannot expect their interest in supporting packaging and distributing
AOO; in conclusion, AOO relies on a "universal" Linux package.

I expect that some Linux-based distributions will continue shipping
LibreOffice by default (or what they call LibreOffice; in most cases
this was simply a name change, since they were actually distributing
ooo-build, closer to LibreOffice than to OpenOffice.org but
different from both, under the name "OpenOffice.org" and later under
the name "LibreOffice"; I think they are progressively aligning with
LibreOffice now, which is good since users were often confused by
customizations).

But there is no reason to think that Apache OpenOffice will be kept
out of the official repositories; most distributions already offer a
dozen browsers and half a dozen office programs, so it is surely
possible to get Apache OpenOffice in the most common distributions.

packaging a browser cannot be compared to packaging AOO. What I meant is
that you can not expect RedHat, Canonical, Suse, etc to pay resources to
package AOO. I guess (= I never packaged OOo myself, thought I have
packaged some trivial stuff for Fedora) packaging AOO will require
a very experienced packager.

you are right and the only chance I see is that users ask for it. To make this happen we have to deliver a good product that users want and that they would prefer over a pre-installed LibreOffice. Especially when it comes to commercial usage in companies this can be a key factor to convince the distros to provide AOO as well.

Juergen