On 7 February 2012 08:31, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 06/02/2012 Andre Fischer wrote:
>>
>> On 06.02.2012 16:38, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, just out of curiosity--and my perennial desire to ease work--how
>>> plausible (if not possible) is it to collaborate on this with the
>>> LO/TDF folks?
>>
>> I would like that, but there are technical reasons against this:
>>
>> The content of the localization data reflects the file structure of our
>> source code. If you add or remove files that need localization then you
>> change the set of po files on the pootle server.
>

> Technically this is true, but it would still be possible and helpful (to
> both localizers and users) to share translation memories, so that we can be
> sure that, say, the Italian translation of the SUMIF() Calc function is the
> same in both suites.
>
> However, it seems that in this specific moment global cooperation attempts
> are bound to result in a waste of time at best. I stay hopeful that things
> will change and that both sides get more pragmatic, but I can't predict when
> this will happen and until that happens we will just need to get things done
> in both projects.
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

it's tempting to consider olive branches and other vegetable
offerings. Perhaps Desktop Summit, later this summer? My interest lies
not in collaboration as such as much as in the reduction of what could
ultimately be confusing redundancy. One might also, if it makes sense
and is easy, combine work with other orgs.

-louis