On 25 February 2012 07:54, Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02/24/12 11:04, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>> Without commenting on the dates, schedules and technical issues I
>> would urge you to make sure you allow significant time for IP review
>> from mentors and the IPMC. I imagine this release will get a great
>> deal of attention and, almost without a doubt, someone will come up
>> with something that needs to be addressed.
>>
>> Ross
>

> As you know I have pointed out issues there but I am more
> concerned that we really need to put out a release and give
> signs of life soon.
>
> About how much time would be sufficient for the IP
> review, and is there something we can do to help that
> out?

The earlier we start the review the sooner the release will take
place. If the project believes it is ready then now, before the RC is
rolled, is the best time to start the review (see my other mail, with
a more detailed suggestion in reply to Rob).

In terms of "how long". Once a review is requested you will need to
allow a minimum of 72 hours, but expect some late comments.
Unfortunately the real problem occurs when there are contradictory
opinions, these contradictions need to be resolved. Shouting at one
another about the intent of written policy or expecting the other
person to back down because your voice is louder will only serve to
crete entrenched positions that can take a long time.

The thing to do is to take the *specifics* of the case in question to
a JIRA issue for the legal team, provide links to policies both
parties believe are relevant and ask for guidance. The legal team are,
in many cases, very prompt, but sometimes this process can be slow.
The sooner these specific cases get into the legal Jira the better.
The PPMC here needs to be pro-active in identifying any such cases as
early as possible. Waiting for an RC to be built will only delay
things if such cases exist.

> Please note that we have open JIRA issues that need to be
> resolved: at least the copyleft dictionaries and the OFL are
> issues that we identified long ago.

Exactly my point, although I was not referring to any specific issues.
My observations are more general in nature.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)