+1 for the mailing list

Jürgen (another one)

Am 02.03.2012 12:11, schrieb Regina Henschel:
Hi all

We from the german-nlc would like to make a new start. The de-nlc has a long history and was one of the strongest OOo nlc projects. At peak times we had over 40 Mails per day coming over the de-dev mailing list. The de site is one of the most visited at the Apache OpenOffice project, and the chance is good that we can get new volunteers.

The problem is, without a mailing list it's hard to involve newcomers.

The English list es not really a viable alternative - same as it wouldn't be much good to force English native speakers to follow a ML with more than 40 mails a day in Spanish for example.

Non-programmers, who can do great work in QA, documentation and localization, have first to learn how this project is set up. They would feel more comfortable on a ML with less traffic and in their own language.

But I'm sure many of those who join a German-language list will at some point in time also come to the ooo-dev. So it's not about splitting the community. On the contrary, it's about attracting new people to the project.

We could of course setup a list outside of Apache - an alternative we have already discussed.

But we need to be closer to Apache. A group outside would need very careful planning and coordination with the Apache project, and this would needlessly take up valuable time which could be put to better use. At the same time we need an up-and-running list need very soon, because the old infrastructure will be shutting down in the near future.

We would very much like to know, what you think of our proposition.

This proposal has been discussed on d...@de.openoffice.org, see thread http://openoffice.org/projects/de/lists/dev/archive/2012-02/message/32

Actual traffic on the German-language lists are
d...@de.openoffice.org: January 12, February 54
us...@de.openoffice.org: January 249, February 179

We request a list ooo-users...@incubator.apache.org
We are not strongly determined to "users", but "discuss" would be also OK, if that fits better to the common Apache praxis.

Raphael Bircher and Michael Stehmann have agreed to moderate the new list.

Kind regards
Regina