I recall the discussion about the BerkeleyDB.  However, the dots with respect
to the current state and consequences for users were not connected for me until
I saw Jürgen Schmidt's reply today concerning the experience of Larry Gusaas.

My creation of this derivative thread was immediate.  It was inspired by
situation being made so clear.

I don't recall these consequences being so evident until the testing of the
"system integration" install versions began last week.  As a matter of my
*personal* policy, I would never release in a way that automatically removed
previous versions, especially for a release under a reconstituted project.  But
that's a matter of personal principles.

I do not have the experience and skills to make such changes to the Apache
OpenOffice code base.  I do have the means to detect and demonstrate defects
and make Bugzilla reports.  I can also recommend that the advice of RGB ES and
Eric b be drawn upon. And I agree with Larry and Jean that this is a
significant policy issue.

Perhaps this issue could have been surfaced and considered before now.  It
doesn't matter.  It is clearly before us at this moment.

 - Dennis