On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Jingbai <jingbaibe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In Symphony,
> 1) the editing env is a tool called ID workbench for editing Dita files
> 2) Documentation source file format is Dita
> 3) Help files published on two places On IEHS(IBM Eclipse Help system )
> together with the product in Eclipse framework as the offline version
> On Wiki system as the online version.
> I think for AOO, we could create docs in the products as before and import to
> Wiki as well. It is essential to let the help files be accessible though the
> internet or google searched and getting comments directly
> The thing is we do not have to use a complex editing env or file format so
> that we could avoid to create the technical barrier for volunteers. Need to
> learn more about the Apache supported Wiki system requirement to let the
> editing env as simple as possible.
> Thoughts?

Here is an example of the Confluence Wiki:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home

And here is an example of our MediaWiki:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Administration_Guide/Using_Custom_Macros_and_Libraries

You can sign up for an account on both systems.

I agree with the goal of getting the documentation onto the web, so it
can be indexed by Google and count by users trying to find answers by
searching.

But I think wiki is just one option. Another would be to convert to HTML, right?

So there are a few possibilities to consider:

1) Can we make OpenOffice read and write DITA?  So use a familiar
editing tool (OpenOffice) but have it understand DITA.

Advantage:  Reuse existing Symphony content directly.  Familiar
authoring environment for documentation writers.

Disadvantage:  Would require development work to enable OpenOffice to
read/write DITA.  (But this would also be a wonderful feature for
other users as well, since DITA is an industry standard format for
technical writing)

2) Can we convert the existing Symphony documentation into ODF format,
so it can be maintained in OpenOffice?

Advantage:  We use familiar authoring environment, OpenOffice

Disadvantage: By moving away from DITA we lose some of the
capabilities to transform into other formats easily.

3) Can we support a hybrid solution where we have both DITA doc and
existing OOo doc, but unify things at publication time, by all
targeting the same output formats, like PDF and HTML

Advantage: Least amount of change required

Disadvantage: Complexity, greater difficulty in maintaining uniform
presentation styles on output

-Rob