Hi,

On 22.03.2012 22:35, Kay Schenk wrote:
As we all know, the program update services, the actual update equipment
and the services they provided have not worked *in a while*, they are
non-responsive.

1) Background and Problem

This would include the following URLS:

update.services.openoffice.org
update30.services.openoffice.org
update31.services.openoffice.org
update32.services.openoffice.org
update33.services.openoffice.org
update34.services.openoffice.org
update35.services.openoffice.org
update36.services.openoffice.org

Pings to these don't return.

These are referenced in the program in a user's "install
location"/program/"version init file"

the name of "version init file" varies by installation platform.

Each of the update services above typically included a check for update
area with the name--
.../ProductUpdateService/check.Update

A complete URL example (referenced in the version file):
update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update(?"optional
params")

"check.Update" would normally be an xml feed which would include, as part
of its entry for each platform, and language version, a pointer to another
URL which would actually have and install the update for the given system.
See details and  notes on this at:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

2)  Proposed Solution
Several participants on this list have been researching the "Update
Notification Protocol" and creating "snippets" of the feeds (both simple
and atom) for very limited one platform situations. However, the creation
of a complete feed for all platforms has not been done ... yet. More
research and development time is needed for this.

Meanwhile, many current OOo users who either use the "check for updates"
feature of their program or have updates "automatically enabled" continue
to be frustrated with the unavailability of the update service.

Although we still have not solved the problem of *HOW* to re-create the
complete service (feed), we can create a "null" placeholder feed for all
services mentioned in 1) that would return the message:

"OpenOffice x.x is up to date"

Essentially, all update services mentioned above would be redirected an
appropriate area on the current web server, www.openoffice.org, which would
return "no" information in placeholder feeds for each update service.

Thoughts?

First, Thx Kay for the summary.

From my side a +1 to this proposal.
From my point of view the "no" information placeholder is a temporary solution to fullfill the purpose to avoid the frustation of our users of former versions.
It should be working until our AOO 3.4 release (may be 1 or 2 weeks longer).

When AOO 3.4 is out my expectation is that we provide a platform-independent and language-independent "check.Update" information which provides a download website which the user can open in her/his browser from the office's update service dialog. On this website we can state that AOO 3.4 is out and that the user should have a look, if a corresponding package for her/his platform and language is available for download and installation.

Best regards, Oliver.