Well no self-respecting web programmer would have
the client loop over and over until it receives
a proper xml response from the server, yet that
appears to be the case here, so I'm charitably suggesting
that the clients aren't properly configured instead
of suggesting there's a bug in the software.  In
any case we need to be realistic about the impact
of such traffic if we ever hope to expose the service
to every user past and present- there might be times
when us server admins need to move/interrupt that
traffic for various reasons, and not having the flexibility
to do so without serious implications to our infra
is a problem.  If there's somethingto fix in the software
in some HTTP status-code aware way, let's do that, so at
least wecan avoid carrying thisproblem thru to new/upgraded

users.

FWIW the request in question is

POST /ProductUpdateService/check.Update
Host: update.services.openoffice.org

which if we pointed it at the main webserver again would
redirect to

POST /projects/update/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
Host: www.openoffice.org

which maps to content/projects/update/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
in your svn tree, which is just a basic XML file,
not a cgi script.  For testing purposes I'm comfortable
working with you Kay on #asfinfra (freenode) to deal
with the traffic load again should you wish to pursue
further testing on the main webserver.  After all the
server exists to support Apache projects and their use
cases, not simply to provide a stable web-serving platform,
so this use case is in scope provided we have sufficient
coordination (#asfinfra) to deal with the traffic in
real-time.