On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> Why is it assumed that AOO support should end because Microsoft has ended the
> support life for Windows 2000 SP4?  That has nothing to do with whether or
> not users are continuing to run it, for any reason.

"Support" is a term that probably requires definition for it to mean
anything in the context of an community-supported open source project.
 Will we kick someone out of the support forums if they ask about
Windows 2000?  Of course not.  Will we list it among the recommended
platforms?  Not unless someone volunteers to test it and verify that
it works.

> I continued to run Windows 98 machines beyond that support life, mainly
> because they were not up to running Windows XP at all well.  (I do have one
> of those running XP SP3 now mainly because it is only running a little web
> server.)
>
> One advantage (more or less) of running Apache OpenOffice on such a machine
> is that it can run there whereas later versions of Microsoft Office will not.
>
> Here's the support list for the Java JRE 6u31, the latest update of Java 6:
> Platform(s): Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003,
> Windows 2008 Server.
>
> Java 7, which is not yet the public distribution, removes Windows 2000 and
> Windows 2003 (server) from that list.
>
> I suggest that if we want AOO 3.4 to run wherever OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 does,
> we do not shrink the list until AOO 4.0 is a reality.

Volunteers to test other platforms are always welcome. Otherwise I'd
expect that corporate-sponsored QA engineers will likely focus on the
more commercial relevant platforms.