Correcting my own typos and over-abbreviation of the previous post ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamil...@acm.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 06:28
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [RELEASE,CODE]: Bug 119090 - Default Encryption Fails for
Down-Level Implementations

Rob,

 1. It is absurd to make headway to strengthen security without addressing the
weakest links first. When has that ever been a design principle?

 2. The proposal is not to abandon AES but to not make it the default.  Folks
for whom AES is imperative can elect it.  Packagers in enterprises can even
configure it.  If it is as easy as claimed, why *not* do this *rather than
impose a* silent, forced change that causes the most pain to the least-expert?

 3. To address a check-off item without addressing the actual security
situation and what is achieved in actual context brands us as the amateurs.
For me, it is an ethical issue I can't step over as a computer-system
professional.  (The fact that I can see this much as an amateur
document-security wonk is an indication of how fragile, and amateurish, the
security of ODF document encryption is.)

 - Dennis