Look I'm pretty serious about the situation as
it stands.  If someone can just give me a little
pointer to where the update client is implemented
in the svn tree that would be great.

There is work to do here to integrate the update
service into Apache's mirror infrastructure, and
the division of labor between what the project can
do and what infra needs to do isn't clear at all
right now.  It'd sure be nice to have a solution
implemented prior to AOO 3.4's release, which I'm
trying to accommodate but my time is limited.