Hi Joe,

On 29.03.2012 03:31, Joe Schaefer wrote:
Look I'm pretty serious about the situation as
it stands.  If someone can just give me a little
pointer to where the update client is implemented
in the svn tree that would be great.

You will find the main stuff in /main/extensions/source/update/check.
In updateprotokoll.cxx you will find function <checkForUpdates(..)>.
Please have also a look at [1], esp. [2].

Our UCB (Universal Content Broker) is used to get the update information (an response in XML format) via the URL which is given in the <version.ini> resp. <versionrc> file. The URL is found at item <UpdateURL> in this file.

I have have checked what kind of HTTP requests are triggered by our "Check for Updates" function. It is a GET request. It should be a single one. As I only looked at the current code this might not be the same for former OpenOffice.org instances.

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#A_glance_on_the_code_for_the_Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release

If you need further information etc., do not hesitate to ask - I will give my best to support you.

Best regards, Oliver.

There is work to do here to integrate the update
service into Apache's mirror infrastructure, and
the division of labor between what the project can
do and what infra needs to do isn't clear at all
right now.  It'd sure be nice to have a solution
implemented prior to AOO 3.4's release, which I'm
trying to accommodate but my time is limited.