On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 16:54 +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 3/31/12 6:02 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > We're getting very close to a 3.4 launch, and the time has come to move
> > forward with a logo rebranidng for at least the user portal  web site,
> > http://www.openoffice.org, and possibly the project web site as well,
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/.
> >
> > Quite a number of logo variations have been proposed for uses within
> > OpenOffice, both internal to the program and other uses, page sidebars,
> > Forum header, etc.
> >
> > The most recent discussion can be found at the following thread:
> >
> > http://markmail.org/thread/fvgwlvva5ziib7qg
> >
> > a conversation started by Rob on March 15.
> >
> > You will note that one of  the outcomes of this discussion was the desire
> > that a new logo NOT include the word "incubating" in the logo.
> >
> > What I think we need to focus on now, and get Lazy Consensus on, is a new
> > logo for the upcoming release, 3.4. Internally, we've already started
> > calling OpenOffice.org "Apache OpenOffice", and we need to move forward to
> > complete this re-branding to the public.
> >
> > I've put 3 "web header" logos in...
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
> >
> > *
> > AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg<http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg>
> > *
> > AOO_orb2_logo_webSite.jpg<http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOO_orb2_logo_webSite.jpg>
> > *
> > AOOfeather_logo_webSite.png<http://www.openoffice.org/images/AOO_logos/AOOfeather_logo_webSite.png>
> >
> > Please respond to this e-mail by selecting your favorite from these 3.
> >
> > Given the Lazy Consenus "process", discussion will be closed on Tuesday,
> > April 2, 0900 PDT.
> > Hopefully, we'll have a clear choice by then.
>

> A clear vote for AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg from me
>
> The minimal required change to add Apache is done nice and it doesn't
> change too much. We should be careful with changing too much the overall
> branding for now. We should first make clear that our users understand
> the relation between Apache and OpenOffice.org. The brand and also the
> logo are well known and I think it is important to keep and to protect
> the brand by doing minor changes only.

Hi Juergen,

It is hard not to agree that the brand, which here I'll use to mean
'Goodwill', value of the name OpenOffice.org as a real asset. I use the
term goodwill to differentiate from the value of 'name recognition'
alone, in that IMO the name is associated in most minds with positive
concepts.

However, I believe this name recognition can also, for one segment of
the population and specifically the independent development/booster
community, be associated with negatives.

For the user base I believe the associations are with ideals of quality,
professionalism and an idea of 'that thing called the opensource
community..not sure what it is, but it's free' FOSS.

For the booster (thinking here of the non-developer [code/docs]
contributors] and the developer communities it also IMO associates with
other ideas, such as closed, corporate, slow moving - stodgy perhaps.

So, without diverging much more here, I think there is merit in both the
idea of making this strong link from the old project to the new, but I
also think it is important to establish a new Apache based brand.

For the website and the 'official' mark, for now, I would concur that
the AOO_orb1_logo_webSite.jpg, so that's a +1

I would like to continue the idea of a separate, less official but still
managed use of secondary, community marks, also - which I suppose is
best done by starting a new thread..

//drew