Am 04/07/2012 07:38 PM, schrieb Marcus (OOo):
Am 04/07/2012 05:34 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
wrote:
For our new release we will have a changed set of conditions:

- new central mirror hosts for redirecting download requests
- therefore also a new set of mirror server that host our builds
- new set of supported platforms and languages
- slighty changed file name schema

To get this all under one hat, we have to improve the download logic
that is
currently done by JavaScript.

To fulfill the first condition the download requests have to be
split-up to
more than 1 central mirror redirector.

Here is a suggestion for choosing when (by random number) to redirect to
which mirror:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html

Test results:
- to make debugging easier I've included some screen output and comments
- I've tested it locally with different combinations of active/inactive
hosts and it works well
- the fallback method works well, too
- I've tested different percent values as ratio, but not yet for the
2nd case

What do you think?

The logic on the test pages works for me.

But two additional complexities:

1) MirrorBrain let's us link directly to a download file. We then
send the user to http://www.openoffice.org/download/contribute.html
while the file is downloading. But SourceForge and Apache mirror
systems take the user to a different page (not controlled by us). So
in those cases the user does not see the contribute.html page.

This should work also for SourceForge. The root path is always the same.
We just need to add a subdir and file name.

I don't know how to do it for Apache.

Since the contribute.html page has very useful information for the
user, like links to the install instructions, information on support,
contributing to the project, etc., I think it is important that the
user sees this information in all paths.

ACK

What could we do? Pop-up (or pop-under) a new HTML page? But that is
annoying to some users.

Right

The Apache and SF approaches both direct a user off of the
OpenOffice.org website, which is risky.

2) What if we have more than three mirror systems? It sounds like you
prefer to keep MirrorBrain. That is fine with me. So maybe we have
Apache, SF and MirrorBrain?

Yes, would be great. Another available system as possible backup is not
bad.

For any change of the number of available systems we have to adapt the
JS logic.

Imagine an array of mirror networks, each with weights, in sorted
order from smallest to largest. (or sort the array in code)

Apache:1
MirrorBrain:2
SourceForge:3

TotalWeight = MirrorBrain + Apache + SourceForge == 6

x = rand()

if (x< Apache/TotalWeight)
doApache()
else if (x< MirrorBrain/TotalWeight)
doMirrorBrain()
else
doSourceForge()

Something like that.

Redirecting due to weighted values looks good. But also this is working
with a fixed set of mirror hosts. A forth had to be build in and
therefore the logic has to be adapted.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll adapt the script later in the evening.

I've adapted it now. But I'm not sure if it's working correct with some disabled mirrors.

Marcus