On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> Kay, thanks for noticing the security issue around having a script served
> from an insecure web page.
>
> That has me thinking about the security context for server-side selection of
> mirrors (assuming that the server sends confirmed redirects back to the
> requester),
>
> I think the URL to request the download has to resolve to an apache.org
> location where the mirror site selection and forwarding/redirection then
> happens.  (an openoffice.org location in ASF custody would work as well).
>
> So now whatever the mirror-selection procedure is, it is on the server and at
> least read-only (if not inaccessible completely).  (The link in the browser
> page can still be hacked, of course, so it would be good to add some
> protection in depth at that point of weakness.)
>
> In addition, the digest values used to confirm the authenticity and integrity
> of downloads must not be on the mirror sites.  They must be in a secured,
> read-only place that exists entirely in ASF custody.

That is already standard practice for Apache releases. Check any
download page for an Apache release and you see the hashes are linked
to the apache.org  /dist directory. If you get that part right,
everything else falls into place.  At least for users who know enough
to check hashes.  Otherwise they are at risk from potentiality rogue
mirror operators.  Of course that has been true for over a decade with
OOo, without any reported problems.  So I'm not very concerned.  I
think we have enough real bugs to worry about.

-Rob