>From the original post, I see these statements:

>> To get this all under one hat, we have to improve the download logic
>> that is currently done by JavaScript.
>>
>> To fulfill the first condition the download requests have to be split-up
>> to more than 1 central mirror redirector.

I assume that you want a script that will choose among multiple mirror
redirectors, when available.

Although it is not reflected directly, it appears that the idea is that
the download requests be distributed in a weighted manner among available
redirectors.  The allocation (as percentage of requests a redirector will
receive over time) is presumably intended to deal with the portion of peak
demand that a particular redirector has offered to handle.

The commitment is to not exceed the expected proportion on a sustained
basis while providing a given redirector that that proportion of the
requests over time (being potentially important for add-generated revenue
of the redirector systems).

When one of the redirectors is unavailable, there is a default redirector
that will absorb all additional requests.  The allocation to non-default
redirectors is not increased.

NOTES

 1. This does not detect when peak load exceeds the agreed capacity
    limit of any redirector system.

 2. This does not provide any mitigation when a redirector is unable
    to service a request forwarded to it.

 3. Allocating requests is not the same as allocating load.  When
    requests are failing, the rapid resubmission of unaccepted requests
    can become a problem.

SAMPLE APPROACH

 1. The redirector services are named by simple strings.

 2. The load management is specified in a single array,

    var redirectorLoading = [ [factor-0, name-0],
                              [factor-1, name-1],
                              ...,
                              [factor-n, name-n]];

    where factor-i is a number from 0 to 100 specifying the
    percentage proportion of requests that the redirector
    service identified by name-i will accept.

    For the last entry, factor-n=100 and name-n is the string
    name of the backup redirector that will absorb all
    unallocated requests.  This can be the same as a name-i
    already in the mix.

    The special name "noservice" is used when there is no
    available service for the request.

    Maintenance: To make a service unavailable, simply set its
    proportion, factor-i, to 0.
    If the backup is unavailable, replace name-n by the name
    of an alternative backup, if any.  If there is no
    alternative to the backup, change factor-n to 0 or
    name-n to "noservice".

    I assume that this declaration would be in a place that is
    easy to maintain without risking errors in maintenance of
    anything else.

 3. One way to do the allocation is with some sort of
    simple function along these lines:

    function chooseService( )
    {  var nService = redirectorLoading.length;
       if (!nService) return "noservice";

       var nLottery = Math.floor(Math.random()*100);
       for (var i=0; i<nService; i++)
         { var loading = redirectorLoading[i][0];
           if (!loading && nLottery < loading)
               return redirectorLoading[i][1];
           nLottery -= loading;
           }