On 4/10/12 4:33 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
Hi Lily,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:20:50AM +0800, xia zhao wrote:
Ariel,

Do you means user have to remove the old packages manually?

I don't mean anything, I'm just describing the situation: that's the way
I has been working since OOo 3.0.0

It isn't reasonable for end users.

Yes. Quite strange nobody seemed to complained about it (I haven't found
previous bug reports about it).

Though keeping the old package is default behavior, I couldn't understand
the reason.

Me neither.
May be this was the design behind the 3 layer OOo, I've no idea.

If just want to keeping the previous configuration etc, is it
possible to split and erase other packages?

No matter which reason, back to the upgrade problem, we need find one way
to resolve the couldn't launch or crash problem.

Looking at the backtrace, the might have been introduced by changes on
the extension handling, but I'm just guessing (I don't have a build with
debugging symbols right now).

I agree that the issue is not nice and also happended in earlier versions, at least the desktop integration part.

The extension problem can be related to the changes we made in the extension manager... I assume it will take some time to find a good solution.

I am no expert in this area but would it be possible to define a meta package that do some clean unintall of older basis packages and desktop integrations?

For the future we should rework the 3 layer office asap and should ensure that we can do a smooth and always working upgrade installation.

For now we have at least a workaround of a manually uninstall if the meta package wouldn't work.

Just an idea

Juergen