On 2012-04-20, at 13:36 , Rob Weir wrote:

> This was mentioned in the ODF Plugfest today, in Louis's presentation,
> an interesting use of OpenOffice configured to run on the iPad:
>
> http://blog.rollapp.com/2012/04/rollapp-launches-free-beta-openoffice.html
>
> Rather than recompiling for a tablet, it looks like they are taking a
> remoting approach with virtualized UI.  This allows them to run apps
> like OpenOffice unmodified.
>
> -Rob

Thanks, Rob, for mentioning this. The basic fact is that we need to have ODF on
the mobile, iOS or Android or whatever, as there is no realistic alternative to
the billions coming to computers over the next decade, if not sooner.

My presentation, which I'll send to the ODF site, argued that tablets and the
like are requisite because they use less resources in comparison to desktops.
As at present native apps able to edit ODF on the tablet are not too visible
(to a degree they exist or will emerge into the light soon) and even when they
do emerge might require, at least for the current period, more powerful and
thus more costly and hotter machines, "Cloud" solutions (Web software services)
coupled with thin clients (read: tablets) seems the best "interim" solution (as
Ross states in another threaded email).  But this is also the way things are
going, to the happiness, no doubt, of former Sunnies: network is the computer,
eh?

From an open source development perspective, there are logistical issues here
but again none is particularly problematical, as long as those wanting to
collaborate have a way of doing that and know they do.

-louis