Kay Schenk wrote:
Please take a look at and give feedback on a test page for the new
/download/index.html page at:
http://www.openoffice.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
Yes, it's a bit strange with lots of nonsense at the top that I wanted
you to see, but will of course go away in production.

The page is nice, but it's the concept that leaves me dubious.

We have another thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel/16219
where there seems to be consensus towards a solution that:
1) Uses SF (and possibly Apache) for the web-based downloads
2) Does not phase out MirrorBrain, and uses it for the updates (i.e., downloads initiated by OpenOffice with the "Look for updates" function)

The "possibly Apache" in 1) is due to the fact that I haven't understood yet what technology Apache will be using and if Apache will distribute only sources or binaries too (it's obvious that we as a project will release sources and binaries, but I'm not 100% sure that Apache wants to put binaries on its mirrors too: I think so).

Fact is, we should avoid the random selection as much as possible, mainly to be able to quickly identify problems, and you will see details in that thread. The cleaner separation we can get, the better.

On the other side, release time is approaching and I can only hope that talks between Peter Poeml (MirrorBrain author) and Apache Infra, that had started on this list, are progressing now.

Regards,
  Andrea.