On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >>>>

> >> Well it's not all that complicated actually. Take a look at the security
> >> patch info page...
> >>
> >> http://www.openoffice.org/**security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.**html<
> http://www.openoffice.org/security/cves/CVE-2012-0037.html>
> >>
> >> and you can see what the link looks like.
> >>
> >> Actual source/binaries are, for us, put in:
> >>
> >> http://www.apache.org/dist/**incubator/ooo/<
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/>
> >>
> >> This said, you could be right in having issues tracking down problems.
> >> Right now, the SF setup is more "user friendly" in my opinion. I
> thought we
> >> were *required* to use Apache for downloads, but maybe we've gotten a
> >> dispensation for this release. Though I didn't think is was 100%
> someplace
> >> else. I admit I haven't kept up as much as I should have though.
> >>
> >> The other issue is how will it LOOK to users -- one moment they may be
> one
> >> place; if they happen to do a shift-reload, they may go someplace else
> with
> >> an entirely different look and feel.

> >> This WOULD make things a lot simpler.

> >> Well, SF will need to implement in their sidebar or the main page for
> >> openoffice.org they have, right?
> >>
> >> Anyway, good conversation.

> that
> had

> >> --
> >> ------------------------------**------------------------------**
> >> ------------
> >> MzK
> >>
> >> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> >>  And life has a funny way of helping you out
> >>  Helping you out."
> >>                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette
> >>

> > Ok, I am hoping this will be about the last, final review on the new
> > download/index.html --
> >
> > prototype at:
> >
> > http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/test/index_new_dl.html
> >
> > This assumes SourceForge ONLY, and that the  3.4 pre-built client packs
> > will be in the hiearchy as the 3.3 is -- stable, etc.
> >
> > Naturally NONE of the links will work until something gets out there and
> > there is a TON of alerts which I will of course eventually comment out.
> >

> > It suddenly dawned on me *just today* that we don't want to continue to
> > generate links for OSes we no longer support now, like Sun's retinue, and
> > for some reason because of how this all operates, it took me forever to
> fix
> > this one aspect.  I could have not bothered with this but well, I didn't
> > want to lead folks astray with a "not found" -- so they will now get sent
> > to "other.html".
> >
> > So, please test with what you've got and I hope for ALL platforms that we
> > do support, you get a link that looks to be correct.
> >

> The link looks good for me, including the trailing "/download" that
> SourceForge needs.
>
> A few things:
>
> 1) Text should be 'Apache OpenOffice' not 'OpenOffice.org'

Ok-- I did miss this...

> 2) Google Analytics needs to enable on the page.

OK, I'll add this...

> 3) We need to get a link to the source code in there someplace.

again, OK, I'll add to the "options" box below the main light green BIG DL
area

> 4) The original page had a link for extensions and templates.  The new
> one only has extensions.  Was this intentional?

Hmmm...OK,  maybe I started out with an older copy and templates got added
later. I will add this section.

> Otherwise, it looks good!
>
> I can help with some of these, especially #2, but I'll wait to see if
> there are any bigger changes first.

ok, good...

I will make these mods today and post another revision -- maybe even
without the "alerts" if I'm feeling more confident! :/

> -Rob
>

> > ps. I'm assuming that we will house the actual "source" artifact from
> > Apache and this will show up in other.html as well when someone provides
> > this information.

OK, I see Jurgen's message on this one...Apache instructions say NOT to use
a direct link to "/dist" so I'll sue closer.cgi on source link only and
hope for the best.

onward and upward...

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
> >  And life has a funny way of helping you out
> >  Helping you out."
> >                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."