>From my perspective it's been a welcome change from the old way
to see this PPMC operate as one big team, and not as a collection
of little fiefdoms breaking up bits of control over various bits of the
codebase.

Apache projects work best IME when there are no boundaries for
committers to cross when working on different aspects of the tree.
It has been a successful experiment to date with this PPMC AFAICT,
so lets not start setting up interior walls and barriers between
contributors.

A UX-focused interest group?  Why not.  But a User Experience Design
Team?  Let's avoid promoting that idea please.  The only teams we should
talk about are the group of committers or the PPMC.