On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 22:02 -0400, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 2012-05-18, at 21:54 , drew jensen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a quick reminder on this.
> >
> > I will be attending the Barcamp tomorrow and I will, if possible, give a
> > brief presentation regarding our project.
> >
> > It would be great if I could give a peak to the presentation, but for
> > that it would have to be finished already... so that is out - it will be
> > ready by 9 AM however :) of course I will post it to the wiki
> > afterwards.
> >
> > However, if anyone believes there is something particular you would like
> > highlighted I will check emails over the next couple of hours - so go
> > ahead and post here or direct to me, either way.
> >

> Drew, thanks for doing this and I wish I could join you in the fun!
>
> I'd say that heaping praise on Apache at an Apache event would probably only
> elicit skeptical cynicism, but maybe also beers. :-) Yet, if you could
> encourage all to check us out….. :-)
>
> Oh, one thing. A while ago, Propylon, a company, was working on refining OOo
> for legal work; many law firms and related use WP 5.x or beyond. OOo had some
> legal templates but the fact is that a huge portion of the legal world is
> unable to budge from the weight of electrons and paper, however close to
> museum pieces they be. Yet legal workers want open standards, open source
> just like the rest of us.

Hmm - odd you would mention that. As it turns out I will be staying in
the Metro area an extra day and meeting up with a friend who happens to
run the digital archive service for the US Supreme Court on Sunday. The
subject of FOSS office suites may come up as I very recently helped his
son out of tight spot by walking him via phone through the process of
replacing a crashed and badly broken Windows installation with a new
Ubuntu 12.04 install, then his college paper started in MSO over to
LibO..all while on a family vacation at the beach. Dad is now curious,
he is also and most definitely a seasoned MS user/fan and already
looking to OOXML, so I expect a conversation, after talking about the
Nats vs O's (pro baseball) of course, as one must have priorities ;) on
the subject of open standards and ODF.

Though your remarks mention wordperfect format files and isn't that kind
of an issue with AOO?