Hi,

maybe it depends on the crash. For testing purpose the developer Hennes Rohling (nick hro) once created the tool kill.exe which was part of the tools project within OOo. This kill.exe allows you to sent the proper signal to the soffice.bin (soffice.exe was just the starter process) process on a Win32 platform. I once used it to check if the crash reports generated were readable by the ReportMail database to allow further automation of crash report data eg. to automatically create bug reports in case there was a given amount of equal stack traces.

Usage:

kill -NULL soffice.bin

kills the soffice.bin process to allow crashdump creation

On Win32 the crash reporter generates a dmp file which can be read by Microsoft's windbg application also known as "Debugging Tools for Windows". On other platforms it creates an ASCII readable call stack based on the system's backtrace function.