2012/6/2 Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org>:
> On 6/2/12, Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When the US gov went to word from wordperfect sometime around 1994, pretty
>> much everybody who interacted with the government went to MS Office within
>> a year or so.
>> I expect we will see a similar effect from Brazil and other governments
>> moving to OFF.
>> When I installed 3.4 on windows 7 and on Ubuntu Linux,  I was given an
>> option to allow or not allow OO to open MS formats by default.  The problem
>> may be that the default state of the check-boxes is for the file
>> association to be with OO.
>> Recently my copy of MS Office 2010 stole back the associations, so I had to
>> fix them to point back to OO3.4. Thus I can appreciate the feelings of the
>> original post.
>
> This goes with my point that this is an expected behavior of any
> software. Including AOO, MSO has it, same as other non office software
> like browsers, media players, zip utilities, etc.
>
> File association can be reversed from the OS level or also use the
> Open with... option. So is not the end of the world or a "intrusive"
> behavior. Like people here want us to think like.

Of course it is not the end of the world, but it IS an intrusive
behaviour: most PC users are completely illiterate on the
administration of their own systems so asking them to *manually*
change file association is like asking for building a rocket...

AFAIK, AOO installer on windows ask for file association, but maybe
not with enough insistence: while I agree that the "next, next, end +
needed OK without thinking" culture on this day computer world is
plain wrong, it is not our task to change it.

Just my 2¢

Regards
Ricardo