This was a discussion about rules of voting for new committer and PPMC
member. We think it is more appropriate to let all contributors get
involved in this. So I moved the discussion to ooo-dev.

General process about voting in a new committer and PPMC member is here
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

By far the practice is most candidates were voted for committer and
PPMC member at the same time.
And no concreate critrial defined in public for AOO.

Your comments are welcomed.

A comment from Rob:

>If it were entirely up to me I'd have it be like:

>1) Contributor -- anyone who contributes to the project, mailing list
discussions, patches, translations, bug reports, doc, support.  This
comes in all flavors and sizes.  We need to do a better job giving
them credit and acknowledging their contributions.  If the feeling is
that someone is not valued unless they are voted in as a PPMC member,
then we're doing something wrong.

>2) Committer -- The threshold question:  Do we trust their judgement
with respect to the area of their contributions?  The move from
contributor to committer is a move from RTC (patches must be reviewed)
to CTR.  So we really need to have a sense that they are doing quality
work.  Committers also have veto rights on all of our commits.  So we
need to trust their judgement.

>3) PMC member -- The threshold question:  Do they understand The
Apache Way and our community-based decision making? On average are
they solving more community problems than they are causing?  Are they
helping others in the community succeed?  When we graduate, and our
Mentors move on to other podlings, the PMC collectively needs to
mentor new members to the project.  So I think the PMC is more about
trusting their community skills rather than their technical skills.

>It might be possible for someone to qualify for 2 and 3 at the same
time.  But probably not in every case.

>Note:  This is not how we have operated previously.  I think there was
an bootstrapping issue where we needed to have a PPMC suitably large
and diverse to provide balance.  We also obviously started with a PPMC
consisting of people who did not fully understand Apache.  That is the
nature of Incubation.  But I don't think this approach is necessarily
something we should continue with a year later, as we approach
graduation.