PMC Member
"A PMC member is a developer or a committer that was elected due to
merit for the evolution of the project and demonstration of
commitment. They have write access to the code repository, an
apache.org mail address, the right to vote for the community-related
decisions and the right to propose an active user for committership.
The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project, nobody
else."

According to this, a committer has every rights to become a PMC member
unless he or she not willing to get involve in it.

We may separate the votes but it will just prolong the process. Or
simple make PMC member a commiter+. Understanding how Apache works is
must. But that is not rocket science, and shouldn't be a hurdle.

We also can never know in advance who will cause more trouble than help.

We should also encourage people reasigning from PMC if he or she is
not interested in it anymore.