From: Rob Weir [mailto:robw...@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 09:41
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: *DRAFT FINAL* June board report

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jogischm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 6/7/12 12:10 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> I agree and thanks to remind me that I should take the appropriate
>>> action to address things like that ;-)
>>
>> Careful with the "I" - madness lies that way ;-)
>>
>> This is the perfect opportunity for someone lurking here to make an
>> early and potentially very significant contribution. Shepherding these
>> kinds of actions takes time away from those embedded in the coding.
>> It's a good way to earn merit while you figure out where to contribute
>> to the project. If someone like that is reading but not sure how to
>> proceed I'm sure others will help guide you.
>
> I agree but the idea is not really new and nothing happened so far ;-)
>
> Thinking more about it I would like to discuss a new term "Apache
> contributor" where users can register for an user account by accepting
> that all their contributions are under ALv2. The verification can be by
> email verification and the iCLA can be required as well (details have to
> be defined). With such accounts people would get access to more pubic
> wikis (like our user wiki), tools like Pootle, bugzilla etc.

The "contributor" role at Apache already handles this.  A contributor
can already register in Bugzilla, post patches, register in the wiki,
contribute documentation, etc.

What a contributor cannot do is directly modify the product code in
SVN.  So they are in RTC mode with respect to product code, including
translations.

I think the disconnect here is we only have an anonymous method for
contributors to add translations to Pootle.  I can see the
justification for requiring non-committers to submit translations as
patches in BZ or via suggestions in Pootle.  But the anonymous part of
this is completely wrong, both from community and from legal
standpoint.

For example, those who contribute to Pootle, anonymously, see their
contributions marked as being from "nobody" in the UI:
https://translate.apache.org/projects/OOo_34/

Isn't that rather insulting?

It also makes it very difficult for the PMC to do their job, since we
cannot effectively track top contributors and nominate them for
committership of the work is all by "nobody".

>From legal perspective, we're failing to track where our contributions
are coming from.  We're losing the provenance of the translations by
not associating translation contributions with a user ID/email
address.

-Rob