On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orc...@apache.org>wrote:

> +1 on this discussion so far.
>
> I was skeptical but I favor how this is going.
>
> Also, the anonymous contribution to pootle is a no-no.
>
>  - Dennis

 [reposted since I didn't see this topic change]

yes, it is...I thought Juergen was suggesting that some special submission
access if you will be granted to the Pootle server.

> It also makes it very difficult for the PMC to do their job, since we
> cannot effectively track top contributors and nominate them for
> committership of the work is all by "nobody".
>
> From legal perspective, we're failing to track where our contributions
> are coming from.  We're losing the provenance of the translations by
> not associating translation contributions with a user ID/email
> address.
>
> -Rob

What I see here are some "non-standard" submissions in the Apache sense
emerging in OpenOffice. I was alluding to this in a post I made the other
day, but didn't specify anything. Using the Pootle server is a perfect
example of such a case.

Maybe we can take this up with the Board after graduation? -- and see what
can be done. I can't imagine that some new methods can't be enacted.

> > The difference between contributors and committers would be that only
> > committers get the @apache.org email address.
> >
> > I think that a such lightweight user could be useful and the license
> > question of their contributions would be clear form the beginning.
> >
> > Juergen

MzK

"Everything will be all right in the end...
      if it's not all right then it's not the end. "
             -- Sonny, "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"