On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jogischm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 6/15/12 3:09 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> My first attempt making a video with Camtasia.  Hopefully this will be
>> useful to someone starting to use the CMS for the first time:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcDZN3Lu6HA
>>

> well done, I love short video tutorials ;-) with a good fresh coffee at
> hand.
>
> Maybe you can share some more experience how you create it, what steps
> are necessary to trim the video etc.

This was done with a 30-day trial version of Camtasia Studio:
http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

It works like a screen capture tool:  You define what area of the
screen you want to record, what audio device to capture, etc.  After
recording it has a simple editor to insert titles, transitions, remove
unnecessary pauses, etc.  Finally, it takes the project, encodes it as
WMV and automatically uploads it to YouTube.  There is a lot more
depth to the Camtasia features -- I only scratched the surface -- but
you can get a lot done with just the basic features.

Other than that, the idea is the same as any tutorial, whether given
live, printed, video, podcast, whatever.  Have a clear idea of what
you want the user to take away, and break it down into clear steps.

> I can think of many more such short video tutorials describing features
> in the office.
>
> For example many users don't know the concept of styles. So how about a
> short video explaining style and to create and use one. Or edit/change
> an existing one...

Another idea would be a set of short videos examining each of the new
features in AOO 3.4.

> Many many short videos of the same "style", means common intro page
> pointing to our project + content video + common finish with further
> info regarding the project or something like that.

Maybe also a common place on Youtube for these.  Right now the videos
are just in my personal account.  But it would be better,  think, if
we had an AOO-branded account where such things could live.  This
would make it easier for the users to find.

Or maybe the way to do this is via common tagging?