On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sorry - again some stuff regarding our update service.
>
> As it has been pointed out in [1] there are some more OOo versions out there
> for which we can activate the update service.
>
> Thus, I am proposing to activate the update service for installed OOo 3.2
> and OOo 3.2.1 instances for which we have an AOO 3.4 installation package.

Hi Oliver,

Would it be possible to also include 3.1.0 in the update notifications?

I mention this because that is what openoffice.us.com is installing,
and they probably get a good number of hits, due to their search
engine advertisements.  (The are #1 when searching for 'OpenOffice' on
Bing.)  We don't need to agree with their methods, but I think we
should try to help the users.  If they are installing this ancient
code they are susceptible to all sorts of security issues.

As far as I can tell they are offering only Windows en-US downloads.
I just installed on a VM and the About box says it is OOO310m11
(Build:9399).

I tried installing AOO 3.4 on top of the 3.1.0 install and it worked
fine.  The only odd thing I saw was that it left an empty
"OpenOffice.org 3.1" folder in the Start menu.  I think that is
cleaned up when upgrading 3.3 ==> 3.4.  But otherwise everything
worked fine.

We might need to maintain these update notifications from release to
release, so long as some of these exploitation sites continue to push
old versions onto users.

-Rob